Friday, August 5, 2011

An evening on film

I found a little gem in a storage closet at work back in June, a Canon FTb with 50mm f/1.4 and 28mm f/2.8 lenses.
DSC_0865

I burned off the film that was in there (it was decade-old slide film and didn't develop properly) and picked up a roll of ISO 100 black and white. One evening I headed to campus, both D80 and FTb in tow, and took some shots. I brought the D80 along to use as a light meter, since the FTb's meter battery died. Overall I ended up with shots that were over-exposed compared to what I'd normally go for with digital, but I'm pretty pleased with the results.

F1000019

F1000018

F1000016

F1000012

F1000009

F1000004

As much as I'm pleased with the pictures, I found the whole process to be somewhat "disconnected" (for lack of a better term) compared to shooting digital. Maybe it's simply because my ideas aren't well-formed enough when I shoot, but I usually do a lot of iterative shoot-review steps to see what works, and the review step is missing on film. I enjoy similar guessing and testing when I do post-processing, but for these shots I just got the lab to scan them and that was that. Maybe I just need a darkroom ...

No comments:

Post a Comment