Thursday, October 21, 2010

Donating skin

I've got an appointment booked in a couple of weeks to get my fourth tattoo done.  It's a simple design but it's going to be very interesting to see how it comes out since I've volunteered my upper arm as a canvas for an inexperienced tattoo apprentice!  We're talking about prime tattooing real estate here, so at this point you may quite legitimately ask me what the hell I'm thinking.  This is permanent after all.

I've had a design picked out for a long time that's relatively simple and insensitive to minor imperfections, getting my tattoo and getting to help out a budding artist seems like a win-win situation to me.

But I'm curious to hear what others have to say ... would you get tattooed by a new artist?  How about an experienced apprentice?  What type of pieces would you consider if you're going to an apprentice vs. an established artist?  May as well open the discussion up a bit, do you have a particular artist you go to?  Who are your favourite artists and what are you favourite pieces?

6 comments:

  1. Answers: YES!! I would in fact get tattooed by a new artist. Booked for Tuesday actually. Plus side for you to that is... It's at least a couple hours of practice he will have by the time he gets to you. You're welcome :)

    Tattoos are groovy... Everyone should have one, whether done by a new OR experinced artist. New artists only become experienced by tattooing people... I may as well be the canvas

    My favourite piece:

    THIS SHIT
    IS
    PERMANENT

    tattooed on my right calf. Thanks for the inspiration, my friend :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I am actually pretty pleased that he'll be doing yours before mine :P.

    I'm more than happy to provide inspiration anytime I can (and I actually considered using the line "THIS SHIT IS PERMANENT" in this post!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say you mis-spoke when I read that, and then I remembered that you are far more tactful than I am and probably deliberatley chose not to curse on your blog. LoL

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a combination of not cursing and realizing that "THIS SHIT IS PERMANENT" has become much more than an offhand remark I made, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy reading your BLOG - Love your title - "Cigarettes and Silver Bullets"
    you are doing work I only imagine doing - thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the kind words, I could easily say the same about your work!

    ReplyDelete