Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Introduction Appendix A: On Music

I like music, and I compulsively share songs with the hope that someone will listen and enjoy it as much as I do.  The songs I share tend to vary greatly, they follow my moods through darker and angrier moments, provide a good rhythm or melody as I go about my day, make me want to sing along (which I do poorly but loudly), and occasionally a certain song me will simply seem transcendent to me.  As a side note, I always appreciate suggestions for songs or bands I might enjoy (hint hint).



Dispensing with that brief preamble, allow me to provide a "sampler" of sorts for the types of music I like to listen to and share, beginning with the song I'm listening to as I'm writing this, "Unbalanced Pieces" by Soulsavers, featuring Mark Lanegan (ex-Screaming Trees, ex-frequent contributer to Queens of the Stone Age) and Mike Patton (of Faith No More fame).  Just a great song to chill out to (which is why Soulsavers is one of my favourite bands).


No general discussion of my taste in music would be complete without a Tool song.   I don't think it's possible to overstate what an effect "Stinkfist" has had on my listening preferences, at the time the Ænima was released the video for "Stinkfist" made it into the regular rotation on Much Music.  It very literally changed what I thought I liked and disliked about music in general, and to this day Ænima remains my favourite album, hands down.



Something a bit heavier, perhaps?  "War?" by System of a Down.


I've always got a soft spot for acoustic guitar, like "Needle and the Damage Done" by Neil Young.


I'm also an old grunger.  "Would?" by Alice in Chains has had a lot of time on my playlists over the years.


I occasionally dabble in more electronic music as well, this is "Dayvan Cowboy" by Boards of Canada.



No comments:

Post a Comment